Tuesday, August 18, 2009

During one of our camping trips this summer, we visited Fort Necessity near Farmington, PA. It is only a few miles away from Ohiopyle State Park and the Youghiogheny River. Fort Necessity is a National Parks site. It's claim to fame is being the site of the first battle in the French and Indian War... which some consider the foundations for the American Revolution.

Fort Necessity isn't very big. It was pretty pathetic in fact.
It was apptly named. The only purpose that it had was to
give Washington and his men some cover for what was to be
sure the onslaught that was coming. They needed a place to take a
stand, and the built Fort Necessity in 5 days.

In our lives, we need a Fort Necessity. We need a refuge from the onslaught that awaits or even the one that is pouring down around us.

"In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.
Turn your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.
Since you are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of your name lead and guide me.
Free me from the trap that is set for me,
for you are my refuge. " (Psalm 31:1-4 NIV)

Fort Necessity in Farmington, PA is crude, rough and anything but mighty fortress.

Praise be to God that we have access to the Strong Fortress in our time of necessity.

No comments: