Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"A Lost Art"

So, it was forecasted to be 5 degrees this morning,
with a windchill of -14 degrees.

That's cold... Terrible cold.

But It's not the cold that concerns me.
It's the total babyfication of our children.

Huh?

For the 3rd time this winter, our school
has had a 2-hour delay due to...
TONS OF SNOW, RIGHT?

Wrong.

due to... frigid temperature .

What?

Yeah, really. It's cold... oh no.
Give me a break.

I honestly don't ever remember having
a 2-hour delay due to frigid temperatures
when I was a kid. I can't... and I bet,
IT'S BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!
(I'm sure I'll get all kinds of hate mail
telling me it did).

Soft... schools are turning our children
into soft pretzels... squishable beings.

Folks I know don't understand these
2-hour delays... they're recent transplants
to the area. To hear them tell it, to have
school closures due to snow or delays
to cold weather would pretty much keep
things shut down or delayed all winter
long.

So my kids are soft,
Minnesota kids are tough...

What happened to the lost art of
standing at the bus stop in the cold?

So, yeah, unofficially this morning
according to the thermometer at
my house, it was 9 degrees at 7:50 a.m.
Wind chill I can't say.

At 9:50 a.m. (the new bus time)
it was 15 degrees.
Once again, Wind chill I can't say.

6 degrees.
6 whole degrees different.
REALLY?!
REALLY?!

Come on, man.

Stop softening my kids up...
and please, let me be the one
who babies them.

No comments: