Monday, February 21, 2011

"Biblical Name Drawbacks"

So, I'm a neon signs kind of guy.

Translated that means I'm a little
thick when it comes to understanding
God's leading in my life.

Maybe I strain to hard to hear a whisper
and actually tune out the loud response
He has given...

or quite the opposite. I'm so focused on
that earthquake, tsunami, hurricane
response, I miss the faint gentle
whisper of a loving Father.

Either way, I feel there are way too many
times that I miss it. But I continue
to search.

I do however in attempt to pin down
the whisper or blast, search God's Word.

"Congrats. That's a great call. That's the
first step... next to prayer."

Not so fast. I struggle everyday to even open it.
That's sad. Unfortunately I far too often use
the Bible as a recipe book, instead of a love letter.
Tangent... another blog for another time.

Back to the search.

I try the, open the Bible and read a verse.
I try the, pick a number to equate it to a page number.
I try the, expand on the verse of the day of bible.org

I have found myself from time to time, just saying,
"God, if only there were a verse written specifically
for me, for this situation... like, 'Jacob, sell you house.'"

But there's the danger for me. I can look up verses
that have my name in the verse, but may find this:

Genesis 28:1
So Isaac called for Jacob and blessed him.
Then he commanded him: “Do not marry a Canaanite woman.

I don't even know where to find a Canaanite woman.
And besides, I'm guessing Samantha would not appreciate that.
(On a side note, thankfully Sam WAS the oldest daughter.)

You see. Sometimes, having a biblical name does have it drawbacks.

Yet, I'll continue to search... to pray... to shout after the Almighty.
Yes, shout. He's God. He's big enough. He can take it.

No comments: