Friday, January 29, 2010

"Itching Ears"

I've got to say, after I read this, (click hear, sp?).
I got a severe case of the itches.

And yet, I was reminded of this:
For the time will come when men will
not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own desires, they
will gather around them a great number
of teachers to say what their itching ears
want to hear. They will turn their ears
away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
2 Timothy 4:3-4 NIV

What is it that I need to hear, want to hear,
desire to hear, can't wait to hear, must hear,
desperately long to hear, etc etc etc...???

I make this analogy:
Wife says this: "Honey, which shoes look best with this dress?"

You know it guys, we've all been asked it.

I says this: "The blue ones?"
Wife: "Are you sure?"
I: "Certainly"
Wife: "Really?"
I: "Absolutely!"
Wife: "If you think so."

She goes back to the bedroom, and re-emerges 15 minutes later wearing the red ones you passed on.

It's one of those, "it didn't meet what her itching ears wanted to hear."

(Incidentally, I have checked out of ever answering
questions like that from my wife forever.)

But it's how I feel sometimes.

I ask God. And somewhere I hope I hear the answer I want to hear.
I read His word. And I hope to find anything to satisfy my itching ears.
I don't really want truth.
I don't really want honesty.
I just want what I want.

Maybe it's time God takes the Q-tip to those itching ears of mine.

No comments: