Monday, March 1, 2010

"Gold Medals!"

I guess the way to measure the success
of the 21st Winter Olympic games is
dependent on your perspective.

Athletes of the games: Gold, Silver or Bronze?

NBC: viewership?

USA: Total medals won?

Canada: Men's Hockey Gold?

And the list can go on and on and on.

How do I measure the success? Well,
that's probably got several components.

First, let me say, for some reason I like
the Winter games much more than the
summer games. Why? Not sure.
There certainly way to many events
that need judges to determine the
outcome. I don't so much like that
idea.

Maybe I just like winter and snow much
more than summer and heat. (Yet,
after this Febs record snowfall amount
for a month in the history of Western PA
I may reconsider that).

Maybe I like the Winter games more
because of hockey as opposed to
basketball or soccer or base... (oh wait
baseball's gone from the Summer games,
yet Olympic softball remains).

Maybe growing up I was realistic
in the fact that I was never going
to run faster than others, or jump
or have the strength do all that
it takes to make it to the Summer
games. Whereas, the ability to
go really fast in a sled is something
I could do.

I don't what it is, but Winter games
appeal to me more. SO...

How do I measure the success
of the Winter Olympic Games
in Vancouver this February.

Overall, I give it an F. And maybe
one small (to far too many) accidental
death should mar the games, but
in my mind, it does. How do you
call any event a success where someone
dies? I don't think you can.
I don't think we should.

And I think that the IOC should be
ashamed of itself for allowing it to happen.

Were there wonderful moments in
Vancouver? YES!

Were there amazing accomplishments?
Personal overcomers?
Overachievers?
Gold medal worthy performances?

YES, YES, YES and YES!

But let us not overshadow what was
an inexcusable accident or the fact
that when you are going to give your
all for a medal that you knew you were
never going to gain, one shouldn't die
in the process.

YES.
I'm answering this question before it's said.
There are dangers in everything.
There are accidents in everything.
There are situations that could not be accounted for.

But in this case, this one case, this incredible case,
it's a pathetic excuse.

No comments: